Marriage-Based Adjustment of Status FAQs

What is the process to apply for my husband or wife’s green card in the United States (Adjustment of Status through marriage)?

The process of an eligible spouse applying for adjustment of status to lawful residence consists of the U.S. citizen submitting a visa petition (Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative) at the same time (usually) with the alien spouse beneficiary’s Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. Other forms that are submitted with the application are the Biographical Data forms (Forms G-325A) for both the husband and the wife, Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, from the petitioning U.S. spouse, Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization (which permits the applicant to work in the U.S. during the time the adjustment application is pending) and for those for whom it is advisable (see below), Form I-131, Application for Advance Parole Travel Document (which permits the applicant to travel outside of the U.S. during the time the adjustment application is pending).

For more information on our marriage-based adjustment of status FAQs, call one of our law offices or contact us today.