EB-1 Green Cards - Outstanding Professors and Researchers FAQs

Who Qualifies for Outstanding Professor and Researcher EB-1 Green Cards?

To qualify for an Outstanding Professor or Researcher EB-1 Green Card, the individual’s U.S. employer must file Form I-140 with supporting documentation which must include either a major, internationally recognized prize or award, for example a Nobel Prize - or alternately at least three of the following within his or her field:

  • Is the recipient of a nationally or internationally recognized award or prize for excellence
  • Membership in associations that requires outstanding accomplishments, as defined by recognized and established international experts
  • Has published articles in major trade or professional publications, newspapers, or other recognized media about the individual and his or her extraordinary work/contributions
  • Has made major significant contributions that are original, scholarly, scientific, or business-related
  • Authorship of scholarly articles in esteemed professional journals or other recognized media
  • Evidence of significant remuneration for services
  • Recognized panel participation, or as a judge of the work of others in the same or in a field of specialization
  • Nationally or internationally recognized showcases or exhibitions
  • Within the performing arts (if relevant), documentation of the commercial successes
  • Participation in a critical or leading role for an organization with a distinguished reputation

This category may be used for individuals intending to work in the United States in a tenure track position within a university or institution of higher education to teach in his or her area of expertise; a comparable, permanent position within a university or institution of higher education to conduct research in his or her area of expertise; or a comparable position to conduct research in his or her area of expertise with a private employer, if that employer at least 3 persons full-time in research activities.

Although Employers of EB-1 Outstanding Professors and Researchers are not subject to the Labor Certification process, a petition must be submitted by a sponsoring employer and an individual cannot self-petition.

Successful petitions must be accompanied by documentation of at least two of the below forms of evidence:

  • Evidence of receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement
  • Evidence of membership in associations that require their members to demonstrate outstanding achievement
  • Evidence of published material in professional publications written by others about the alien’s work in the academic field
  • Evidence of participation, either on a panel or individually, as a judge of the work of others in the same or allied academic field
  • Evidence of original scientific or scholarly research contributions in the field
  • Evidence of authorship of scholarly books or articles (in scholarly journals with international circulation) in the field

If your questions were not addressed in the EB-1 green card FAQs, please call one of our law offices or contact us today.