Family Immigration Attorney

In addition to individual immigration, those eligible can apply for family immigration. U.S. citizens and permanent residents can petition for certain family members to obtain permanent residence (their “green card”) to join their husband, wife, or family in the United States. However, only U.S. citizens, and not permanent residents, can file petitions for fiancés, parents, siblings, married sons or daughters, or sons or daughters over 21 years old. There are no family-based immigrant petitions for nieces, nephews, grandparents, or cousins.

When a person applies for their husband, wife, or family member to get their green card while they are inside the United States, that application is usually something termed “adjustment of status”. The term for a marriage or family “green card” application outside of the United States is “immigrant visa application”. These are generally applied for through a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad, but often the process still initiates within the United States.

Learn more about family immigration in our Family Immigration FAQs section.

The family immigration attorneys at Surowitz Immigration, P.C. have a strong track record of assisting spouses, fiancés, and families obtain successful marriage and family-based green card outcomes. If you have questions about family immigration or would like more information, contact us today.

Family Immigration FAQs